Skip to main content

Revealing the expert schema: Is your curriculum boring?



If I showed you a picture of how I think about a topic I teach it would be orderly and organised. It would probably also appear overwhelming and complicated if you were not an expert in this domain. (If you’re interested you can see the most epic of these, my ‘macro map’).




 


If I was going to teach you about this topic, I would gradually reveal elements of the picture to you, until you could see and appreciate the entirety of the big picture that I can see. I am trying to get you to a point where you can think independently like an expert. You will have the network that I have, so you can make the links I can make too, and then you’ll likely even make some I would miss. 


This is frequently how I go about teaching my students. I will reveal, often graphically, very small and carefully sequenced pieces of my thinking, very gradually and over time, before eventually revealing the entire picture. The steps are small and the journey is leisurely, but long. You will get there, assuming you stick with me. That might require a bit of resilience and effort on your part. 


But is this actually the best way?


I’ve been fascinated recently to witness the different reactions to my various ‘schema representations’ from my own existing students (who I have taught since the start of their A level course) compared to the reactions of the new students I have only recently encountered and taught in my role as a revision tutor. 


Many of my original students have dutifully followed along with my thinking and have developed a good level of expertise. But they don’t know any different. I have been their only economics teacher, so they just think this is what economics is and this is how you learn it. Some of my own students though view my efforts to visually communicate my complex schema as a grind for them! “Oh, Miss, this map, there’s SO many factors, there’s SO much to learn… etc etc etc”.


Yet if I present this map to a new student who has not been taught in this way, and show them how to use it, I am met with a mixture of gratitude and relief.


“Oh… Miss… this is SO useful… Oh, I wish someone had given me this months ago”.


The scrambled muddle of content they had been trying to wrangle into orderly essay answers now appears organised, understandable, manageable and useful. 


It makes sense. 


And what’s more, they are now highly incentivised to go about learning it, as they appreciate the value.


But who now performs better in the end? Who has learned more? Does satisfaction in the feeling of relief from the unorganised mess mean motivation and performance is now going to be better for the new students than those who’ve taken a slower journey with me and ‘known this all along’? 


Is a struggle in the dark that ends in a lightbulb moment better than slow, gradual (even boring?) transition from darkness to light. 


I don’t know. But I feel the question is interesting and important. 


I am especially interested in the motivational impact. I wonder if a curriculum that is logical, efficient and seemingly sensible can fall apart on implementation because it ends up feeling dull. It’s so orderly, that’s it’s boring.


Should an expert reveal their schema gradually? Or is a level of struggle, confusion and muddle a ‘desirable difficulty’? Should an expert should hold back their expertise until such time as it will be recognised and appreciated, and that revelation will deliver a motivational buzz of satisfaction?


Discuss!












Please draft comments in another app - you might be prompted for a Google login in order to comment and could lose your draft.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is ChatGPT? And what do educators need to know about it?

After registering on the ChatGPT website you are taken to a browser page. You can type in any question you like, and you will be provided with an answer. That’s what ChatGPT offers. It is a ‘chatbot’ and it is currently operating in a free ‘research phrase’ to collect feedback from users.   Great, isn’t that what Google does? ChatGPT is not a search engine - it is text only and it won’t pull information from elsewhere on the internet. It will give you answers using only the large body of content which it has been fed, so it does not know ‘everything’ and cannot address questions about current or future events. It does converse in a more ‘human’ manner than Google though, it’s maybe best thought of as a quiet, somewhat bookish, Alexa.  Why should I care? Home Study The content provided by ChatGPT appears to be of a much higher quality and far more specific than students could typically obtain from the internet via search engines. Users can obtain everything from compositio

Back to the Future

Ensuring something happens in the future is potentially rather easier to achieve if you possess a time machine. In theory such a contraption facilitates your travel back in time to amend things that are wrong with the present before they happen, or enables you to leap forwards to tweak moments in the future for the better. However, as Marty and Doc humorously demonstrate, this isn’t always as simple as it might seem! For the rest of us non-time-machine-owning folk, our main hope for ensuring things happen in the future lies in the effectiveness of our ‘prospective memory’. As opposed to ‘retrospective memory’ (where we are trying to remember something from the past), the concept of prospective memory refers to our ability to remember something in the future. Will you remember to wish Lucy a happy birthday tomorrow morning? Will you remember to send Jack to the office at 12.20pm for their appointment? Will you put out the garden waste bin instead of the food waste bin next week? T

Subject Symmetry

Some subjects appear to be awash with books on how to teach them and writing on what constitutes a ‘good’ curriculum in terms of that subject. Wise subject leaders who are engaged in curriculum design would of course do well to read such material to help aid their thinking, as would senior leaders who are responsible for quality assurance.   But what if little or nothing appears to have been written about the teaching of or curriculum thinking in relation to a particular subject? Where does a subject leader go for inspiration? How do they know if their curriculum is any ‘good’ or how it could be improved? How might senior leaders attempt to quality assure that curriculum?  The answer is that the curriculum thinking must be done from scratch. Before any work can be started the parties involved need first to educate themselves in the underlying principles and concepts of curriculum theory. These generic principles then need to be tentatively applied to the subject. There is no other w