Skip to main content

Curriculum Confessions

I’m not afraid to admit it. 

I was late to the curriculum party.

As a teacher of economics and business, I am very clear on why I teach and I have consumed many delightful hours considering exactly how I will teach, but I have dedicated very little time to deeply considering what I teach or when I teach it. Teachers of history, English, art or various other subjects, who must begin their planning by deciding which texts, which eras, which artists or which ‘something else’s’ to study from a choice of many may be quite confused on hearing this statement. I cannot emphasise enough though how dominant I have found the content of the exam board specifications in influencing my ideas on what I teach in particular, and also on when. And I don’t think I’m alone.

Curriculum vs Specification

Mary Myatt (2018) is clear in her excellent book ‘The Curriculum: Gallimaufry to Coherence’ about the relationship between the National Curriculum and the actual curriculum you adopt and deliver. She spells out that ‘the National Curriculum is not a scheme of work… it is the minimum content to be covered and it needs to be translated into meaningful, demanding schemes to bring the subject alive’. I was immediately struck on reading this and felt instantly that the same comment could be made in relation to exam board specifications. How had this not been obvious to me before?

I began to reflect on the journey my career has taken and swiftly realised that I have been on a path towards achieving ‘optimum course and qualification delivery’, rather than considered and rounded teaching of a subject. I had become distracted with a tick box focus on progress, organisational efficiency and exam success that had begun to cloud the subject out. How foolish. I resolved in that moment to change my entire approach.

I had assumed initially that I was in a minority within the profession, that I was part of a small, ill-informed group who had been ‘out of the loop’ in terms of this deeper curriculum thinking. Maybe I was half-asleep on the day they covered that in my PGCE (was it even covered then I wonder?), or maybe the KS4+ focus of my subject was a factor (exam course teachers are never really forced to address a question of what they will teach, there is always the specification there to answer that). The further I read though, the more I came across stories of others with the same sorts of tales and hints that this was a much bigger issue than I had thought.

Jo Jukes (2019) arrived at similar conclusions about her exam-focused teaching, but via a different route. She writes honestly in her blog ‘How Daisy Christodoulou Changed my Life’ about how she ‘had stopped teaching business and started teaching ‘how to pass an exam’’, before detailing how she successfully overhauled her business curriculum. Amanda Spielman (2018) writes of Ofsted’s research showing ‘that there was a dearth of understanding about the curriculum in some schools. Too many teachers and leaders have not been trained to think deeply about what they want their pupils to learn and how they are going to teach it’. And early paragraphs in Clare Sealy’s (2020) introduction to ‘The researchEd Guide to the Curriculum’ are so similar in tone and content to the start of this blog (which I had already written by that point) that I considering cutting my introduction as it looked like a breach of copyright!!

I decided to leave it in the end though, and reference this account. I thought at the time of writing my introduction that this curriculum ‘blind spot’ was a particular issue for me because I taught an exam subject. I assumed the primary teachers were streets ahead because they’d always had to choose what to teach. But Clare’s account was interestingly similar to my exam experiences, with her what to teach for some subjects being ‘dictated from on high, via the national curriculum, or, more importantly the statutory tests that held us to account’, but also, fascinatingly, she reveals that the what in the non-tested subjects ‘didn’t really concern’ her! Her dissatisfaction with this situation, and subsequent discovery of ‘the wonderful world of curriculum thinking’, mirrored Jukes’s experience in many ways and now also my own.

And it’s not just the teachers who have taken a reflective, somewhat confessional, stance. Spielman (2018) also acknowledges the part Ofsted have played in this matter. ‘For our part, it is clear that as an inspectorate we have not placed enough emphasis on the curriculum. For a long time, our inspections have looked hardest at outcomes, placing too much weight on test and exam results when we consider the overall effectiveness of schools.’ She also notes (Spielman, 2017) that ‘exams should exist in the service of the curriculum rather than the other way around’.

What a superb situation now then for teachers and school leaders. The teachers’ desires to overcome niggling dissatisfactions with what they are teaching, the researchers’ findings with regards to what should be taught, the writers’ persuasive calls to review practice and the requirements of the inspectorate are all aligned! Everyone seems to agree that taking some time to pause and properly consider the ‘what to teach’ and ‘when to teach’ questions is a good idea.

So how, as subject leaders and classroom teachers, can we actually do this?   

Babies and Bathwater

Jukes’s (2019) approach is bold. She decides to ‘tear up everything’ and ‘start all over again’. I thoroughly encourage you to read about her journey as she clearly outlines the steps she took and this might be a template you also wish to follow. I don’t feel I have been quite as radical yet, and you need to weigh the best route for you, but her approach has clearly delivered impact in her classroom and is well worth your consideration. I have been very grateful for Jo’s kind contributions and collaboration in developing my curriculum thinking and I am looking forward to further exploring numerous aspects of her approach as I develop my offer over time.

In my approach thus far I have been most significantly influenced by the writing of Myatt and Spielman, and have decided to start from a position of existing knowledge and pragmatism and then to gradually shift my emphasis. I haven’t started with a completely blank sheet of paper. The specification content has, for me, provided a starting point and I am comfortable with that. After all, the specification is meant to be a collection of content that relates at least somewhat (!) to what should be known about the subject, so it does have some use I feel! I have also arrived at my own position of understanding of my subjects via a fairly traditional educational route, and therefore my schema is somewhat aligned with this anyway, as that is how it has been formed.

Spielman does state that ‘there need be no tension between success on these exams and tests and a good curriculum. Quite the opposite. A good curriculum should lead to good results.’ Therefore, I would caution you somewhat in too hastily dismissing what you currently have in place and would advocate a deep and reflective temperature check before radical change, rather than accidentally throwing the baby out with the bathwater.   

The difference in my current thinking and approach now is that, whilst I am still using the specification, I am viewing the document critically, rather than just swallowing it whole. I am thinking more deeply about the purpose of each topic, about where to place emphasis, about internal and external connections, about how to tell a story.

Taking things out of the specification content is not really a sensible option. External exams do still matter and issues with specification content really need to be dealt with at a macro level by the subject community and the exam board in development of the subject and examinations over time, not the micro level where I am operating.

Spending more time on some areas, less on others, adding things that are not on the specification, changing the order and giving much more careful consideration to sources, case studies and contexts used are all options to consider though. This is currently where I am focusing my attention.

Story Starts Here

I am very aware that this is the beginning of the story and I certainly don’t have all the answers yet. I am focused on reading widely, thinking deeply and actively trying to make connections within the subject community in order to find the best ideas out there. I am also working hard on designing and sharing practical and creative ways in which subject leaders and teachers can think about their curriculum. I intend to share my journey to support others and I hope you will join me along the way as I would very much welcome participation and support from anyone who would like to be involved!

This is part one in a series of curriculum blogs which I am writing for teachers and school leaders. The aim is to:

-          Support subject leaders as they develop curriculum thinking and conduct discussions with all stakeholders

-          Inform senior leaders (particularly those with line management responsibility for business, economics and other KS4+ only subjects) about the issues which might be pertinent to curriculum thinking in those subjects

-          Share and debate curriculum design ideas in the business and economics subject domains    


To be continued… next time: curriculum mapping - Why are curriculum maps not, well, maps?!

 

 

References


Jukes, J. (2019) How Daisy Christodoulou Changed my Life. Available from: https://missregardless.wordpress.com/

Twitter: @MissRegardless

 

Myatt, M. (2018) The Curriculum: Gallimaufry to Coherence.

Twitter: @MaryMyatt

 

Sealy, C. (2020) The researchEd Guide to the Curriculum.

Twitter: @ClareSealy

 

Spielman, A. (2017) HMCI's commentary: recent primary and secondary curriculum research. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/hmcis-commentary-october-2017

Spielman, A. (2018) HMCI commentary: curriculum and the new education inspection framework. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/hmci-commentary-curriculum-and-the-new-education-inspection-framework

Twitter: @amanda_spielman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Future

Ensuring something happens in the future is potentially rather easier to achieve if you possess a time machine. In theory such a contraption facilitates your travel back in time to amend things that are wrong with the present before they happen, or enables you to leap forwards to tweak moments in the future for the better. However, as Marty and Doc humorously demonstrate, this isn’t always as simple as it might seem! For the rest of us non-time-machine-owning folk, our main hope for ensuring things happen in the future lies in the effectiveness of our ‘prospective memory’. As opposed to ‘retrospective memory’ (where we are trying to remember something from the past), the concept of prospective memory refers to our ability to remember something in the future. Will you remember to wish Lucy a happy birthday tomorrow morning? Will you remember to send Jack to the office at 12.20pm for their appointment? Will you put out the garden waste bin instead of the food waste bin next week? T

Subject Symmetry

Some subjects appear to be awash with books on how to teach them and writing on what constitutes a ‘good’ curriculum in terms of that subject. Wise subject leaders who are engaged in curriculum design would of course do well to read such material to help aid their thinking, as would senior leaders who are responsible for quality assurance.   But what if little or nothing appears to have been written about the teaching of or curriculum thinking in relation to a particular subject? Where does a subject leader go for inspiration? How do they know if their curriculum is any ‘good’ or how it could be improved? How might senior leaders attempt to quality assure that curriculum?  The answer is that the curriculum thinking must be done from scratch. Before any work can be started the parties involved need first to educate themselves in the underlying principles and concepts of curriculum theory. These generic principles then need to be tentatively applied to the subject. There is no other w

What is ChatGPT? And what do educators need to know about it?

After registering on the ChatGPT website you are taken to a browser page. You can type in any question you like, and you will be provided with an answer. That’s what ChatGPT offers. It is a ‘chatbot’ and it is currently operating in a free ‘research phrase’ to collect feedback from users.   Great, isn’t that what Google does? ChatGPT is not a search engine - it is text only and it won’t pull information from elsewhere on the internet. It will give you answers using only the large body of content which it has been fed, so it does not know ‘everything’ and cannot address questions about current or future events. It does converse in a more ‘human’ manner than Google though, it’s maybe best thought of as a quiet, somewhat bookish, Alexa.  Why should I care? Home Study The content provided by ChatGPT appears to be of a much higher quality and far more specific than students could typically obtain from the internet via search engines. Users can obtain everything from compositio